First to the Table
Q&A on Shopper Insights
With Laura Barry, VP, Consumer Insights & Shopper Engagement, Kraft Foods, Inc.
SN: Are these programs that Kraft is bringing to the retailers, or are there times when a mid-sized retail chain comes to Kraft and asks how they can tie into your programs?
Barry: It's both. We've been focusing on plans with all our customers. Each of them elects to participate in a particular program or not, based on whether it really is in line with their consumer.
Actually we take try to tailor programming that meets our customer's needs and the shopper. We go to each one of them and say, "These are the insights and the platforms that we have planned for 2010. How do we customize them to make them work for you?"
Most retailers feel that they need a good representation of strong brands. Fortunately Kraft has those strong brands. We need to bring value to the consumer beyond price. We need to have a high quality, differentiated products. We need to bring value through our shopper marketing programs and through improved and superior quality. And we need to make sure that our innovations are really answering consumer needs.
- Food Lion's Data and the Spider-Man Principle
- When Troy Prothero presents Food Lion's Vendor Pulse data-sharing strategy to suppliers, he makes a point of including an image of Spider-Man on one of his PowerPoint slides. It's not just to dress up the presentation.
- Capitalizing on Online and Mobile Couponing
- In this economy, coupons are hot. But the younger generation is more apt to access coupons via the Internet and mobile phones.
- Younger Shoppers Most Receptive to Online Coupons: Study
- The youngest market segments are the most receptive to online coupon offers, with 51% of 18-24 year-old shoppers indicating that they would be very likely to use coupons presented to them online, according to a new study conducted by Platform A, a division of AOL here, and Chicago-based Information Resources Inc.
- Retailers Rank Consumer Centricity as a Top Success Factor in Survey
- Three-quarters of surveyed retailers and 58% of consumer product manufacturers rank consumer centricity as a top-three success factor, according to a new survey sponsored by DemandTec here and Toronto-based Precima and conducted by IDC Global Retail Insights.
- Retail Commission on Shopper Marketing in the Works
- Coca-Cola North America is sponsoring the creation of the Retail Commission on Shopper Marketing. The objective of the group that will comprise retailers will be to determine how to best leverage manufacturer insights to develop consumer-based marketing approaches.
Have a burning question related to shopper insights? Ask Kraft Foods' expert, Laura Barry, VP of Consumer Insights and Shopper Engagement for Kraft Foods North America.